One of my (Matt McGill) best nights in youth ministry!
The idea was to design a creative prayer time for our students, a place where they could step away from their regular, busy lives and simply “BE” with God.
We created 15 different stations, each with a devotional, scripture, and activity. Going into the event, we felt that some of the activities were a little uncomfortable/risky, and maybe even cheesy. However, each station ended up being great (honest!) and the whole event was awesome. Sure, we’d make a few changes next time around, but everything went off really well.
We planned a 2 hour event. We went 30 minutes long, which was a drag. 90% of the students didn’t complete all of the stations. When we do it again, we’ll probably do a few less stations (not sure which one I’d cut…but we might combine stations 4 and 5) and plan for a three hour event.
Here is a quick overview of all the stations:
- Be Ready — Getting started: gathering everyone to set the tone.
- Be Still — identify the “static” in their lives that keep them from hearing God
- Be Silent — duct tape over your mouth, Ecc 5, listening to God
- Be Vocal — write out a prayer, read that prayer and a few psalms out loud
- Be Loved — identity in Christ, lies of the enemy we believe about ourselves
- Be Freed — nail it to the cross
- Be Child-like — joy, delight, celebrate … shoot 5 baskets, finger paint, eat a desert
- Be Reverent — shoes off, lie on the grass, listen to a dramatic reading of scripture
- Be Called — Jesus calling Peter, have you set down the net?
- Be Light — praying for friends who don’t know Jesus
- Be Courageous — write a fear on a stone and throw it into the lake
- Be Servant-hearted — Upper room foot washing…be washed, wash another
- Be Compassionate — “Social justice” issues … read them all, pick one to pray for
- Be Reminded — Lord’s Supper
- Be Thankful — Identify something you are thankful for…write it on a white board and we take a picture
- Be Together — chapel service
- Word Doc x1 | Planning Notes
- Word Doc x1 | Stations Overview
- Word Doc x1 | Student Journal
- Word Doc x1 | Promo Texts
- Word Doc x1 | Setup Guide